Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Real Scoop on Real Wives

I admit it. I watch some Reality TV every now and then. Even though some of them are scripted in advance, I enjoy the human drama (good and bad) like the rest of us. Cat fights, Train wrecks of their lives, B-actors trying to get back into the limelight because their last performance was at Kennedy's innauguration.

But catching Real Housewives of New York the other night made me want to change the channel to Nick at Night and watch the innocent fun of Father Knows Best or the slapstick humor of Hogan's Heros. Competing witches for who is going to be the worse mother on Manhattan is not my idea of enjoyment. Sex in the City was either a real or an exagerated version of life in NY. This, however, was a disturbing few minutes of "I can't wait for my friends to see how evil, selfish and greedy I can be in a 10 minute block when they watch this and tell me how good my ass looked on TV."

This was not entertaining. It was pathetic with a good chance of nausea. Why can't they be more like the Real Housewives of Orange County and just be concerned about who can have the uglier but RICHER husband and determined if they go to Rodeo Drive or their plastic surgeon more often. To me, THAT is REAL TV.

No comments: