Friday, August 29, 2008

Flashes of Brilliance

Hmmmmph. Whether you were watching the DNC convention with 80,000 people or the Yankee game with 55,000, you would have seen an amazing view of stadium flashes, clicks and anxious people taking photos of the moment that will last a lifetime.

The fireworks effect of seeing all these smart, loyal fans flashing across your TV screen at the moment a candidate arrives or a batter hits his record home run resonates through the TV screen as the rest of us watch or sit by passively wondering the same thing:

PEOPLE. IN A STADIUM, A FLASH DOESN'T LIGHT UP ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE MAN'S BALD SPOT IN FRONT OF YOU.

Seriously, I know you think this life is all about you. But a flash is good for 8-12 feet MAX, not a quarter mile to light up A-Rod's dimples. It's good to shoot the hot dog guy as he hands you back zero change, but it's not going to lighten the stadium shadows just for you. Just not gonna happen.

Try keeping your hand still and shooting it without flash and perhaps with all the other "intelligent" people in the stands flashing at the same time, They will light your subject for you.

Can I state that any clearer? Your flash is not going to light up a stadium, gymnasium, field, or your child's ballet recital while you hang over the balcony and yell, "One more honey, I'm waiting for the flash to recharge."

Next time you sit near me and start taking flash photography aimed at center fielder who is farther away than your next record SAT score, perhaps I'll ask if you want me to take one of you with him in the background. Because with your AMAZING camera and a Cashew size flashbulb embedded in it, I'm sure I'll get one of you and Johnny Damon that you will want to frame in your bedroom next to your CHIA PET.

"I'm sorry, you're asking what is that shiny spot behind you in the picture?...Why its all your 1000's of friends who took the same photography class in Middle School. Next time, shall I get them in the shot too, because I'm sure you are the only one in the world who has a SUPER FLASH".

1 comment:

DarbyM said...

Oh this is soooo funny. And true.